Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Locked Down

Yesterday I had set up my computer to host a Remote Desktop service so I could log into it from work. It's something I have done ever since I had my job in college, and has proven to be very useful to me.

Whether I slack and spend time working on other projects not related to my job, or I set up a stream of music to listen to while I work, having the ability to get into my computer from work was a great luxury. It even came in handy a few times troubleshooting issues in which we needed to have a computer with a connection that is external to our corporate network.

No more. I was unable to connect remotely today. I remembered awhile back they were going to be blocking the standard RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) ports at the external firewall, but I realize now that they weren't just blocking the ports.. they were blocking the actual protocol. Oh well.. I guess this means I can keep my nose to the grindstone more often than I have in the past year.

I'm now signed up for an Oracle taught Oracle administration class. I will be taking it for an entire week in July-- not really a break from work, per-se, but at least I'll be in different surroundings for that week and not have to do any of my jobby job tasks.
--
The music is brooding in my head now. Including, but not limited to, distribution of City Shadows, new songs, new songs I'm working on, cdbaby.net, live performances.... I really want to make my hobby into something bigger. I'm not going to quit my day job for awhile (if ever), but I definitely want to be heard.

Good times.. good times.

No comments: