Friday, July 27, 2007

A Fresh Sense of Things

I was at work from 3pm to midnight last night. I had brought Amy's laptop, my Korg drum pad, my headphones, and an expectation that I would be able to dink around for a few hours and make some music.. I was sorely mistaken.

I did a lot of sitting around at the beginning of my shift. The upper echelon of managers, senior managers, directors, and even our CIO were in the room calling all of the shots and making all of the support plans. It was really interesting when our CIO got involved.. he's a wicked smart guy and has brought a sense of true large-scale corporation IT to the mom & pop shop mentality we are still driving here at work.

At one point I had to do a few things for getting a change through our change board process and ensure it was ready to go for our primary on call to do at 7 AM today.. That was kinda fun, in a strange way.. and so was being in the war room.. even when I was doing some simple tasks for enabling features of our website and monitoring our logs from our database.

Dare I say it, but I caught a glimpse of what made this job fun for me in the first place. The IT support aspect really let me catch a breath of fresh air.. I'm excited to be doing some training, learning some new technologies (to me), and improving my skills as an IT analyst. The project work, the bullshit that the business hands us, and the lack of solid management have been getting me down-- I think I'm in the clear as far as the affects of my job on me and my personal well being (and by proxy, my personal life outside of work).

Getting back into the game of life after this stint of madness, work-depression, and general shit we've been flipped from the business should be easy from here on out.

That being said, I'm going to take care of a few things around here in the office, sit back, and relax as I work on my hobbies, my passions, learn a few things today, then go home and have a freaking blast of a weekend.

"so drop the bass and set the needle,
spin the records and make them move,
spill the music into the street,
and make the masses move their feet."

No comments: