Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Getting Along

I suppose it's time I make an entry, yes?

The past week or so has been busy.. full of.. slacking. Well not entirely I suppose.

Work is work. I busted my butt last week and cranked out a script and report.. essentially learning AWK from scratch (cake, it's a dumbed down, crippled version of more robust modern day languages), and writing my first script and AWK program to generate a report for the cn=monitoring account for LDAP... oh wait.. I'll spare you all the technical crap, that's not something I like to go into here anyway!

So yes.. work keeps me fairly busy during the day. Outside of work, Jeff and I made great progress in our musical adventures. We cranked up the production and got together a solid 70-80% of a song. Surprisingly, the track is somewhat up-beat feeling and incorporates a lot of more 'traditional' instrumentation and arrangement sounds. I think we will be able to flop back and forth between the alt-rock/indie-rock and wall-of-sound/electronic-biased music fairly well.

Next is some arrangement, adding a section, and then we'll be mostly done with the composition. We may need to re-record some of the acoustic guitar but that's no big deal at all. The last piece which I'm still thinking about-- does it need lyrics? It's a very groove-centric track that could easily be sans-lyrics, as it contains a certain "Zero-7" stripe down the middle.

That being said, Jeff and I will hopefully have a song or two available on the upcomming "For the Cure" benefit album I plan to release this month (or early May). Right now it is slated to have 6 tracks: 2 new "Sliptide" tracks, 2 previously released "Sliptide" tracks, and 2 tracks from the yet-t0-be-named project that Jeff and I are working on. More info will be posted as the artwork gets created and a tentative track list is composed. The plan at this point is to release online and provide iTunes, Rhapsody, and SNOCAP store options with all proceeds donated to my 3-Day walk (more on that soon, too!).

Sorry to be such a tease on that stuff!

I upgraded to a Flickr PRO account yesterday. I'm trying it out not only for my own use (the social integration is missing from Picasa.. Flickr really is the bigger deal), but for Amy's future online use for her photography. So far I'm enjoying it. I am going to work to get some of my archived trip photos up there, as well as more of the 'artistic' shots. Fun!

Alright.. back to "work".

No comments: